Sunday, November 7, 2010

Beginning

Let’s start at the beginning. I’ve set some pretty lofty goals for myself (if I may say so) and have a not limited but nonetheless a timeframe in which to complete them, or at least make significant strides at completing them (I am trying very hard not to be too “tough on myself” while remaining efficient).

So first of all, I have decided to learn more about the teachings of Buddhism, immerse myself in its practices and learn to live by its teachings. I already go to weekly meditation classes and plan to attend several supplementary classes at my local Buddhist monastery. I also plan to read more books on the subject to further my practice.

On that note, I intend to make reading a significant part of this year. If I could only accomplish one thing in this entire twelve-month period, I would have read more often, exposed myself to new points of view, and have become more knowledgable on a variety of subjects. That alone sounds like an incredibly productive use of time away from university. Not to mention that reading has been proven to inspire intellectual curiosity in readers, a quality I am very much lacking in the moment and am the sorrier for it.

Furthermore, I think reading will help me accomplish every single one of my goals (yes, every single one). It’s perfectly reasonable to assume that reading  the works of other artists will inspire creativity in myself and that exposing myself to new points of view and new information will lead me to be more knowledgable and cultured. Additionally, learning about the lives of others, maybe reading first-hand accounts, reading about accomplishments and the thoughts of others, will inspire compassion and therefore kindness. And finally, all of these other qualities, these other pieces of the character I hope to become, will make me more beautiful (is that too optimistic? perhaps).

So that’s something- I will read this year. I won’t limit myself to a particular subject or area but instead will let myself read whatever is of most interest to me. I have the rest of university and then my entire career to read what other people tell me to; for now, I will only read what is most interesting to me at that time. I will however keep a booklist of the books I have read over the year (something to be able to look back on with pride at the end of the year) and write, whenever I can, my impressions of the books on this blog.

Next. Beauty.
While reading will make me more attractive in many ways(how else can you explain the appeal of a sexy librarian?), there are also some ways in which it won’t help accomplish this goal completely. I need to work on the physical things. I am comfortable with my body for the most part but I always feel so much better when I’m in shape, even if I weigh or perhaps, look the same.
So i’ve decided to sign up for a half marathon. I’ve always wanted to be a runner (even once dated a guy who was crazy about running) so this is the perfect opportunity for me to accomplish this goal. I may or may not be accepted (fingers crossed), if not, I can then only attempt one in another city. However I MUST train- its just over 13 miles long and I would feel terrible about myself I didn’t finish with an acceptable time. So, I will run every day. I’ve jog several times a week, usually for about 1-2 miles but I need to build endurance and begin to build up to longer runs. I just need to tell myself, “I am a runner.” At the same time, I will practice my sport and do yoga whenever I can. Furthermore, more exercise will give me more energy to complete my other goals!

While I write this, the idea that I need to be able to pay for this keeps coming to mind, and with good reason. I’m not suggesting I need a extreme makeover but some new clothes and a haircut, perhaps some makeup, would all help me achieve the goal of becoming more attractive (It sounds vain but it is the truth). I want to “update” my look, try something different and try to express my character more by my appearance. I hate to admit that such simple things, such materialistic items, that purchasing can make me happier but the truth is that to a limited extent, it can.
Alright then, so I’ve have to get a job. Done. I got a job as a waitress/seating hostess at a cafe across town. Nothing fancy and I’m sure it won’t pay much (I’ll find out tomorrow) but it’s something and it will provide stimulation while also giving me another incentive to stick to my goal; having to greet customers everyday and compete with the other, dare I say, more attractive waitstaff for tips will make me want to try to be more attractive myself.

On the note of stimulation, I also signed up for a Lumosity account. I have to admit, I’m skeptical about the effectiveness of the site and the results it claims to procure (there is something sketchy about how my “brain profile” dramatically goes up the more time I spend on the site and not necessarily on how much better I do in the games), I do enjoy myself playing the games and I feel its does somehow inspire intellectual curiosity.


That’s quite a list of resolutions I have for myself, and I haven’t even hit all of my goals yet.  To sum up:


-Read more:
    -Keep a booklist
    -Blog about my impressions of each book

-Exercise:
    -Train for a half-marathon/ Run everyday (“I am a runner.”)
Practice sport
    -Yoga

-Get and Keep Job (worth pointing out that I have to stay employed)

-Use Lumosity



And now I haven’t even hit on all of my goals, nor I am sure in which category to place all of these steps to achieving them.

Hold on, this might take some organizing for which I don’t have the time right now. Here are the beginnings of my plans at least. I will write more once I’ve ironed out the kinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment